No trend without a counter-trend, you could say here. Many uniform layouts are opposed by few innovative(r) designs. Yes, the template trend is not compelling. There are still enough brave web designers and experimental layouts.
The easiest way to create experimental(er) web designs is to literally go off the grid. The grid provides content with a structure and web designers with a framework to implement balanced layouts that look harmonious.
Letting individual – or even multiple – elements stick out of this grid not only loosens up the whole design, but is a great way to stand out from the uniformity of websites. This creates asymmetrical layouts that stand out.
Large blocks of text are a stylistic device that is often used to stand out from the crowd. In very light or very dark font color and sufficient free space as a contrast to the other content, these are sometimes placed above images.
The visual hierarchy is often disturbed and the reading flow is impaired. This is rather unfavorable for very text/content-heavy websites. Here, a clear structure is beneficial and necessary to guide users through the page and to convey a clear content hierarchy.
For traditional companies, or companies that want to appear more classical, more innovative layouts will be rather less of an alternative.
For all others, however, they are. “Experimental” can, after all, already be smaller out-of-the-box elements that only set discreet highlights. The appeal of asymmetrical layouts is that they are distinctive, striking and sometimes experimental.
But really innovative websites are looking for new solutions in terms of content presentation, user guidance and navigation.
Tips for using experimental layouts:
- Even small “grid breakers” can break up the layout and set accents.
- Clearly define: If you want to ensure a standard operation and structure, then only dare to experiment with discreet layouts.
- If you want a deliberately innovative layout, discuss it with the customer beforehand.
- Be aware that the content reception can suffer under such layouts.
- And then: experiment and be patient. Because there are no templates that lead you quickly to your goal.